The Faculty of Physics and Mathematics was established in 1996 on the basis of the departments of fundamental training on the initiative of the rector of the university, academician MZ Zgurovsky.
Physical and mathematical training, which is the basis for the formation of scientific and engineering knowledge, has always been a priority at the Kiev Polytechnic Institute from the first day of its existence. At different times, scientists with a world-famous name worked and headed the departments of fundamental training here: MP Kravchuk, IV Skrypnyk, AA Smirnov, VELoshkarev, YBVul, GG De-Metz, O.G. Goldman, FP Yaremchuk, Sh.G Gordeladze, VA Zmorovich, OS Smogorzhevsky, VA Linnik, SD Herzriken, VG Baryakhtar, VV Buldygin , AM Samoylenko.
Seven departments became the base of the faculty:
· Department of Mathematical Analysis and Probability Theory (Head of the Department Honored Worker of Education of Ukraine, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Professor, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences OI Klesov)
· Department of Differential Equations (Head of the Department, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Professor, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences ME Dudkin)
· Department of Mathematical Physics (Head of the Department Professor, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences VM Gorbachuk)
· Department of General Physics and Solid State Physics (Head of the Department Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences VY Kotovsky)
· Department of General and Theoretical Physics (Head of the Department Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Professor, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics of Ukraine VM Loktev)
· Department of General and Experimental Physics (Head of the Department Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine, Corresponding Member of APNU, Professor, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences YI Gorobets)
· Department of Descriptive Geometry, Engineering and Computer Graphics (Head of the Department Associate Professor, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences GO Gnitetska)
The first dean of the faculty was Academician of the NAS of Ukraine VG Baryakhtar, since 2007 the faculty is headed by Honored Worker of Education of Ukraine, Academician of the NAS of Ukraine, Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences VV Vanin.
The faculty employs world-renowned scientists: Academicians of the NAS of Ukraine VM Loktev, Corresponding Member of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences YI Gorobets, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, member of the Ukrainian, American, Belgian, Australian, Edinburgh, London Mathematical Societies, Honored Worker of Education of Ukraine NO. Virchenko.
Well-known scientists of scientific institutes of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, well-known universities and scientific laboratories of Europe and the USA are involved in the educational and scientific training of bachelors, masters and doctors of philosophy of the department.
Among the teachers of the faculty: 35 professors, doctors of sciences, 148 associate professors, candidates of sciences.
The faculty conducts scientific work in the following areas:
- Research in probability theory, mathematical statistics and the theory of random processes
- Research in mathematical analysis: integral transformations and theory of special functions, functional analysis and its application to boundary value problems of mathematical physics, theory of functions, harmonic analysis
- Statistical analysis of the quality of tests in higher mathematics
- Research on differential equations
- Research in materials mechanics
- Development of mathematical methods for the study of stochastic systems and boundary value problems of mathematical physics;
- Analytical research methods for the theory of parabolic equations
- Investigation of deterministic chaos in dynamical systems
- Development of the theory of nonlinear dynamics of magnetization distributions in crystals in external alternating fields
- Geometric modeling of nonlinear dynamics processes by fractal geometry methods
- Geometric modeling of technological processes in aircraft construction
- Geometric modeling of aircraft surface formation at the design stage in the conditions of modern integrated computer technologies
- Research of qualitative and spectral characteristics of dynamic systems
- Investigation of dynamic phenomena in multiparticle systems that determine their physical properties by computer simulation methods
- Comprehensive study of functional nanocomposites and thin films for use in optical and sensor electronics, in particular as electrically active elements, functional thin layers, light-emitting materials, visualization, light indication and gas sensors
- Investigation of optical, electrical and magnetic properties of nanopowders, nanocomposites, thin films, polycrystalline and single-crystal SiC materials of different polytypes doped with donor and / or acceptor impurities, for further application of these materials in spintronics, optoelectronics, solar energy
- Development of methods for controlled synthesis of periodic one-dimensional nanoscale metallic and semiconductor structures as elements of modern nanoelectronics, establishment of physical bases for the formation of 3D-acoustic metamaterials with the desired spectral characteristics
- Geometric modeling of working bodies of tillage implements of agricultural production
- Geometric modeling of multiparameter processes and systems